Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire A big step for American Indians in Hollywood


Slumdog Millionaire is on video now so Review Before you Buy could afford to watch it and we give it two thumbs up. What a great movie! It wasn't all just sex and violence set in an American city. Slumdog millionaire was shot somewhere else. You could tell. Things looked different. People looked different. Well? They looked similar to each other but different from the majority of the people I see here in the U.S. They were darker skinned with darker black hair and brown eyes and spoke with really neat accents. They weren't african american you could tell they weren't. I'm so tired of white people as the starring actors and actresses in Hollywood movies. I'm even kind of tired of black people too.. Well I guess I'm kind of tired of Will Smith at least. Nah I take that back I love Will Smith. It's just really great that the United States and Hollywood gave American Indians a chance to shine.

See that's the first thing that we noticed while watching Slumdog Millionaire was how refreshingly different it was. I kept on saying.. "Look at all these American Indians in this movie. How cool." I mean how many westerns have you seen? Tons of them right? How many Native American movies have you seen? Ha. Not many right? See.

And these people were the stars! First Obama becomes the first african american president and now this? We are certainly growing as a pop culture nation. We're learning to accept people on television. We're learning that people from all races, religions and backgrounds can be on tv too. You don't have to look the same to be a star. Anybody can be a star.

K I'm in trouble a bit. My boss was yelling again. It was brought to my attention that I messed up. The Indians in this movie are not Native Americans or American Indians. They are in fact Indian Americans or Indians from India. My boss told me that many Indians that live in the United States are in Information Technology, Engineering and Sciences. Not all Indians he said but if I wanted to see one here I might look in those places. Hospitals have them because many Indians are Doctors. So not only are Indians smart.. but they are now stars I said. Real life stars on the big screen. How exciting this must be for Indians. There are more then a billion Indians on earth. I wonder if the average Indian statistically is smarter then the average white person or the average black person. Well smarter in terms of how much money they make at least? One thing is for certain I talk to a lot of Indians on the phone for technical support. I rarely can understand them but now they are stars!

Back to the movie review




I liked the movie towards the end the most because how hot is that Indian girl? Honestly? She was gorgeous right? Freida Pinto is her name. Freida Pinto is going to be the hottest new sex symbol in Hollywood you just watch. I'm calling it now. I'm basically in love with Freida Pinto now so maybe it's just me? But if you don't think Freida Pinto is the hottest girl in the world you have problems for sure.

The movie was about 2 brothers and their struggle to make some money while being treated fairly. It was quite a struggle. Things are different in India. Things are tougher then they are here in the U.S. We should feel lucky to have things so easy. We're spoiled brats really and we complain a lot. Watch Slumdog Millionaire and you will realize that your childhood probably wasn't so tough. It's great to see movies that tell a cultural story that teach us how lucky we are.

The theme of money and power is constant throughout slumdog and really the only reason the star of the movie got the hot girl was because he was about to be a millionaire. He won the grand prize on the show Who wants to be a Millionaire. But the struggles were most exciting... the lengths that these boys needed to go to before they could make some Benjamins was quite entertaining.

The goofy guy with the big ears was the main character. His brother that looked like Michael Jackson was a real scoundrel seeking wealth and power without a conscience. The big ear guy seemed to always do the right thing. Although love for his little brother did push Michael Jackson to make some sacrifices that made me a bit warm and fuzzy towards the end. I won't give it away but he got shot in a bathtub full of money.


Things I hated with a passion

The scene where the boy fell in poo poo while trying to meet a celebrity was really uncomfortable for me to watch but not nearly as uncomfortable as the dancing scene at the end of the movie. Did you see that? Oh my god it was awful. Almost ruined the whole movie for me. It was completely unnecessary to turn this movie into a really bad 80's MTV musical. I was really confused when this started happening.. So confused that I questioned whether or not it was really happening? And how about the lead actors ears? And how sexy was Freida Pinto?


It's not just me that liked this movie so did Oscar and the Academy. “Slumdog Millionaire” won eight Academy Awards including best picture and best director and it was nominated for 10 Oscars.

Best picture
Best director, Danny Boyle
Best adapted screenplay, Simon Beaufoy
Best cinematography, Anthony Dod Mantle
Best film editing, Chris Dickens
Best original score, A.R. Rahman
Best original song, “Jai Ho,” music by A.R. Rahman, lyrics by Gulzar
Best sound mixing, Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty

Starring:

Dev Patel ... Jamal K. Malik
Anil Kapoor ... Prem Kumar
Saurabh Shukla ... Sergeant Srinivas
Rajendranath Zutshi ... Director (as Raj Zutshi)
Jeneva Talwar ... Vision Mixer
Freida Pinto ... Latika
Irrfan Khan ... Police Inspector
Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail ... Youngest Salim
Ayush Mahesh Khedekar ... Youngest Jamal
Sunil Kumar Agrawal ... Mr Chi (as Sunil Aggarwal)
Jira Banjara ... Airport Security Guard #1
Sheikh Wali ... Airport Security Guard #2
Mahesh Manjrekar ... Javed
Sanchita Choudhary ... Jamal's Mother
Himanshu Tyagi ... Mr Nanda

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out that the poop scene was chocolate and peanut butter mixed together.

    ReplyDelete